Is Your Kitchen Efficient?
Organization tips to make your kitchen easier to use
The kitchen is a room that all family members use every day, yet it is often one of the most inefficient rooms in the house. Life in the kitchen is much easier when you can find what you're looking for and you know what food is in the cupboard or pantry.
Be Space ConsciousHere are a few tips to encourage and help you create an enjoyable kitchen, from blogger and productivity consultant Laura Leist:
- Neatly stored items take up less space. Organize your kitchen so that the everyday dishes, silverware, and glasses are close to the sink and/or dishwasher.
- Coffee mugs... how many do you really need? Think about those you use most often and how much space the rest consume.
- Square and rectangular containers are more efficient than round ones, allowing you to store more in the same space.
- Expired/outdated food clutters your kitchen. Go through cupboards and pantries annually and toss what you haven't used in a year.
- Items bought in bulk require a lot of space. Don't buy products in bulk unless you have a place to store them.
Make Kitchen Items Accessible
- Small appliances that you use often should be accessible. If you need to make room for them, it might help to relocate appliances that you don't use often to harder-to-reach places.
- Put canned goods with canned goods and boxes with boxes. Break each down by category, such as fruits, vegetables, soups, beans, pasta, snack foods, etc. Install slide-out drawers in cupboards for easy access to pots, pans, and storage containers, or install a turntable to make every item easy to reach (one with multiple levels is particularly space-efficient).
- Can't install slide-out drawers? Use clear plastic boxes that can hold similar items, such as pasta, rice, snacks, and baking goods. That way you can pull them all off the shelf at one time to find what you need.
- Add some structure to your drawers with drawer organizers so you can grab the utensil you are looking for in a snap.
With just a few hours of time and some products to help you organize, you'll be well on your way to a kitchen in which you can enjoy spending time.