4 Good Reasons to Buy Luxury Appliances
Understand the real value of high-end ranges, cooktops, refrigerators, and more
You've looked longingly at those sleek upscale appliances, but what features do you get for the higher price tag? Here's the rundown.
So just what do luxury appliances offer over standard ones? Check it out.
1. Long-Lasting PerformanceLuxury appliances typically offer sophisticated upgrades that boost function to the next level, such as greater efficiency and advanced technology for spot-on operation and better results. And advanced testing during production and development means you won't be let down over time.
- Open and close doors on luxury appliances, pull out the racks and drawers, and examine controls and interior and exterior surfaces. You'll note that the unit simply looks and feels different from less-expensive counterparts—because it is. Typically you'll notice they're made with superior materials equaling more heft, better sealing and illumination, and visibly precise engineering. It's quality that's built to last.
- Note that added layers of insulation dampen noise, and special motors ensure operation so quiet that some manufacturers boast that you'll wonder if the appliance is even running.
- For ranges and cooktops, expect to find burners with exceptionally high BTUs for super-fast boiling and searing, as well as low-heat burners for evenly simmering your most delicate sauces.
2. Features with Purpose
In the case of luxury appliances, you generally get what you pay for with extras that have been thoughtfully engineered to streamline cooking and entertaining. For example, you'll find:
- A cooktop with built-in ventilation that captures smoke and odors right at the cooking surface—clearing the air without a hood.
- Cooking flexibility, such as steam and convection or microwave and convection options within a single oven.
- Multiple preprogrammed cooking modes with one-touch operation.
- Larger capacity dishwashers with flexible rack designs, more settings, and a built-in water softener— or a dishwasher that heats plates for when you're entertaining.
3. Fabulous Fit and Quality Finishes
With styling that's timeless, your purchase should look good for a lifetime. Luxury appliance makers often pay specific attention to aesthetics, such as:
- Sleek lines and countertop depth, which integrate appliances easily into surrounding cabinetry.
- The ability to match cabinet panels on the appliance front to make it blend in.
- Quality, stainless-steel exteriors and interiors for those who want a more professional look.
- More aesthetic options to match design styles.
- Refrigerators with glass doors. One new model showcases the food with a velvety matte black interior illuminated by LED lighting.
4. Advanced Technology
Luxury appliances are the first to bring innovations that truly matter to your kitchen:
- Induction cooking that's fast and energy efficient.
- Intuitively activated ventilation hoods.
- Sensors in dishwashers and refrigerators. One refrigerator, for example, monitors and adjusts for optimal temperatures, humidity levels, and ideal freezer environment.
- Internal components—with features like air purification and a magnetic seal door that keeps the air locked in—designed to keep your food fresh and to help make your meals delicious.
- Money-saving energy efficiency. (A Sub-Zero refrigerator, for instance, uses less energy than a 100-watt light bulb.)
Read: 8 Great Luxury Appliances.