Stylish Wall Stenciling: The Basics
How to use wall stencils to paint your space
It's easier than you think to use wall stencils in creating stylishly decorated rooms. Learn about your paint and stencil material needs and steps here.
Stenciling SuppliesBefore you begin your wall stenciling project, gather these materials:
- painter's tape to keep the stencil in place
- a level to put under the stencil once it's on the wall to ensure it's even
- a pencil to mark registration points so that each time you move the stencil it's aligned perfectly with the design next to it
- a dense foam roller or paintbrush
- paper towels
- your favorite stencil.
Stenciling StepsMany stencil companies provide specific instructions on how to use their particular stencils. Some, for instance, encourage using an adhesive to affix the stencil to the wall during the painting process. Others advise holding the stencil to the wall or using painter's tape to affix certain areas.
Follow any steps that come from your particular stencil manufacturer. Here are the basic guidelines:
- Dip the roller or the tip of the brush in paint and wipe off excess paint on the paper towel.
- Roll over or dab at the cutouts in the stencil until they are fully covered with paint.
- Move the stencil to the next area where you want to apply the design and repeat, if needed.
Wall Stencil Companies
- Cutting Edge Stencils
- Heart of the Home Stencils
- Innovative Stencils
- My Wonderful Walls
- Olive Leaf Stencils
- Royal Design Studio
- Stencil Boss
- Stencil Ease
Now check out these 17 modern wall stenciling ideas to complement any space.