The coastal grandmother style theme is a charming and nostalgic approach to coastal interior design that can be incorporated into any house, anywhere. This style is inspired by the memories of summers spent at grandma’s beach house, where soft pastels, natural materials, and vintage décor combined to create a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere.
This article will explore the key elements of the coastal grandmother-styled decorative theme and offer some tips on implementing it in your home.
A Breakdown of the Fundamental Elements of the Coastal Grandmother Style
Bringing this style to your space is possible with the following elements in mind
Use a soft pastel color palette
The first key element of this style is the color palette. Soft pastels like baby blue, pink, and yellow are necessary for any coastal grandmother-styled décor. These colors evoke the relaxed and carefree feeling of summers spent by the sea.
Other colors that work well with this style include sandy beige, warm peach, and seafoam green.
The key is to keep the colors light in every room and airy to create a sense of calm and tranquility in the home.
Make use of rattan and wicker
The following key element is the use of natural materials. Wicker, rattan, and other natural fibers are commonly used in this style. These materials add texture and depth to the décor and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere, especially in the living room. Wooden furniture pieces like tables and chairs also work well in this style, adding a rustic charm to the home.
You can also use a few carefully selected seashells or pieces of driftwood to add a touch of nature to the space.
Another essential element of the coastal grandmother-styled decorative theme is the use of vintage décor. Vintage pieces, such as old photographs, antique furniture, and decorative knick-knacks, are essential in creating a cozy and welcoming atmosphere. These pieces add character and personality to the home and create a sense of nostalgia that is central to this style. Look for vintage finds at flea markets, antique shops, and estate sales to add that special touch to your beach-inspired home.
Greenery is your friend
Consider adding additional elements to your space to enhance the coastal style further. One idea is to incorporate botanicals and greenery, such as potted plants or fresh flowers, to bring some life and nature into the room. It can also help to create a sense of freshness and vitality.
Using nautical accessories is yet another element that can enhance the coastal grandmother style of décor. Consider rope, compasses, and anchors, which you can incorporate into wall art or decorative pillows. It will give the area a nautical character and bring back pleasant memories of coastal vacations.
Shiplap is a type of wooden board that is often used as a wall covering. It has a distinctive look with long, overlapping boards that create a subtle texture on the walls. Shiplap walls are a great way to add a rustic, beachy feel to a room or kitchen and can be painted in various colors to suit your style.
Adding textured fabrics, such as linen or burlap, can add depth and interest to your space. These fabrics are often used for curtains, throw pillows, and table runners. They can also be used for upholstering furniture, such as chairs or sofas, to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
Lighting is everything
In addition, consider using lighting to create a warm and inviting atmosphere in the room. Soft, warm lighting can help to create a cozy and comfortable environment. Consider using lamps with soft, muted shades or even string lights to add a subtle glow to any room.
Work on the details
Last but not least, remember to focus on the details. Little details can enhance the room’s overall appeal, such as ornamental jars filled with seashells, beach glass, or a woven basket to hold blankets. Paying attention to these minor touches can easily achieve a coherent and welcoming coastal-themed décor.
Tips on Incorporating Coastal Grandmother Style in Your Home
When implementing this style in your home, remember a few tips
- First, start with a neutral base. Paint your walls in a soft, light color, such as white or cream, to create a blank canvas for your décor. It will also help to make the space feel more open and airy.
- Next, add pops of color with soft pastel accents, such as throw pillows, curtains, and rugs. These accents will add depth and interest to the space without overwhelming it.
- When choosing furniture for this style, look for pieces made from natural materials, such as wicker, rattan, or wood. These materials will add warmth and texture to the space. Choose furniture pieces that are simple and understated, with clean lines and minimal embellishments. It will help to create a relaxed and calming atmosphere in the home.
- Beach-inspired artwork should be your go-to. Incorporating beach-inspired artwork, such as seascapes, beach scenes, or coastal landscapes, can add a sense of serenity and relaxation to your space. Look for artwork with a calming color palette that compliments your room’s other elements.
- Open shelving is a great way to display decorative items and add personality to a room. Use reclaimed wood or natural materials for your shelving to complement the coastal grandmother-styled decorative theme. Display vintage knick-knacks, seashells, or other decorative items that fit the theme.
- Scents and fragrances have a powerful effect on the human mind. They can bring back beautiful memories and transport you to heavenly nostalgic places. Use this tool to your advantage and add a coastal scent to your coastal-inspired home.
- It can help to create a relaxing and inviting atmosphere and make you feel as if you’re actually by the sea. Consider using a diffuser or candle with scents such as ocean breeze, sea salt, or coconut to transport you to the seaside.
- Finally, when it comes to décor, think vintage. Look for old photographs, vintage maps, and other decorative items that add character and personality to the space. Don’t be afraid to mix and match different textures and patterns to create a layered and interesting look.
- It will further help if you add a few seashells or pieces of driftwood to complete the coastal grandmother-styled decorative theme.
Summing It Up
To summarize, the coastal grandmother-inspired decorative design is a beautiful and welcoming approach to interior design that can take you back to summers spent by the sea. You may design a cozy and inviting place that is ideal for unwinding by integrating soft pastels, natural materials, vintage furnishings, plants, nautical accessories, lighting, and attention to detail. So why not bring some of the seasides into your home today?